Serve these spoonbread muffins warm, smeared with bacon butter. What’s not to love? Find our Creamed Corn recipe here.
Spoonbread Muffins with Bacon Butter
Yields: 12 muffins
- Bacon butter:
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups Creamed Corn (see link to recipe above)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- For bacon butter: In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1⁄4 cup drippings in a bowl. Let bacon cool completely; crumble.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crumbled bacon, butter, and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Pour 1 teaspoon bacon drippings into 12 muffin cups. Place in oven until drippings are very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1⁄4 cups Creamed Corn, milk, melted butter, and egg. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moistened. In another medium bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Carefully divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cups; remove muffins. Serve warm with bacon butter.