Flecks of spicy pickles stud these perfectly fried hush puppies.
Spicy Pickle Hush Puppies
Yields: about 28
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup minced spicy pickles*
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- White Barbecue Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; add eggs and buttermilk, stirring until just combined. Fold in pickles.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°. Working in batches, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with White Barbecue Dipping Sauce.
*We used Wickles Pickles.
White Barbecue Dipping Sauce
Yields: 1½ cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s May/June 2017 issue!