Spicy Chicken Chili
Write a review
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3½ cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (32-ounce) containers low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Garnish: chopped green onion and sour cream
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook until onion is tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add broth, kidney beans, tomatoes, black-eyed peas, and pinto beans; bring to a simmer. Add reserved chicken.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, approximately 1 hour. Garnish with green onion and sour cream, if desired. Store in freezer up to 6 months.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/