You can never go wrong with sprinkles at Christmastime.
Spiced Graham Cookies
Makes about 24
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (10-ounce) bag white chocolate melting wafers*
- Garnish: assorted sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well. Beat in molasses and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface, and divide in half. Roll one dough portion ¼ inch thick. Using assorted 3-inch cookie cutters, cut dough, and place on prepared pans 1 inch apart. Freeze cookies for 10 minutes, or chill for 1 hour. Repeat with remaining dough, and scraps.
- Bake until puffed and firm, but not brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
- Line cooled baking sheets with wax paper. In the top of a double boiler, melt white chocolate wafers until smooth. Dip cookies into or drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and place on prepared pans. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired. Let stand until set, about 2 hours. Store at room temperature or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
*We used Ghirardelli White Vanilla Flavored Melting Wafers.