Ginger adds subtle spicy heat to this rich holiday classic.
Makes 8 servings
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 (28-ounce) container vanilla ice cream, softened
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, grated fresh nutmeg
- In a large Dutch oven, stir together egg yolks and sugar. Gradually whisk in milk, ginger, and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; add ice cream, stirring until melted. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg, if desired.