Want to make this Spiced Eggnog kid friendly? Omit the bourbon and stir in 1 tablespoon vanilla.
Makes about 8 servings
Write a review
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup bourbon, or to taste
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, ground cinnamon, grated fresh nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, bring milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Whisk about 1 cup hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisk yolk mixture into milk mixture in pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon. Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with whipped cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s December 2016 issue!