Chicory coffee grounds and coarse turbinado sugar create a robustly flavored crust as these hearty beef ribs roast.
Spiced Chicory Beef Ribs
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon chicory coffee grounds
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 (3-pound) racks beef back ribs
- In a small bowl, stir together turbinado sugar, coffee grounds, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, orange zest, and red pepper.
- Pat ribs dry. Using a sharp knife, pierce thin membrane on back of ribs; peel off, and discard. Sprinkle both sides of ribs with coffee mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, and top with a wire rack. Place ribs on prepared pan.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 195°, 7 to 8 hours, depending on thickness of ribs. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.