Stashing away a tray (or three) of this flavor-packed lasagna makes weeknight meals effortless.
GIFT THIS CASSEROLE
Prepare casserole in a freezer-safe dish through step 4; let cool. Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil, and freeze. To reheat, refrigerate until thawed, 1 to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake, covered, as directed in step 5 until heated through and an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 165°.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups packed chopped turnip greens (about ½ pound)
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2¾ teaspoons Cajun seasoning*
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups shredded fontina cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pot.
- Add beef to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer beef to a medium bowl, reserving drippings in pot.
- Add onion and garlic to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add half of greens; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and remaining greens; bring to a boil. Partially cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook until greens are tender and liquid is mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar, and Cajun seasoning, stirring to combine; cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in bacon, beef, and parsley.
- Spread one-fourth of beef mixture in prepared pan. Layer with 4 noodles, overlapping as needed; cover with another fourth of beef mixture, and top with one-third of cheese. Repeat layers twice, starting with noodles.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until lightly browned on top, 5 to 10 minutes more. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.