Write a review
- 2 cups fresh field peas, cooked and mashed
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 slices hickory-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 pita bread rounds
- Prepared hummus
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced cucumber
- In a medium bowl, combine peas, bell pepper, green onion, parsley, bacon, and egg, stirring well.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, garlic powder, salt, baking powder, and pepper. Add cornmeal mixture to pea mixture, stirring to combine. Shape pea mixture into 1½-inch round patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, pour oil to a depth of ¼ inch; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°.
- Fry patties, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve patties in pitas with hummus, tomato, onion, and cucumber.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/