Side dishes don’t get much more irresistible than this flavor-packed Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potato Casserole.
Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potato Casserole
Makes 1 (13×9-inch) casserole
- 2½ pounds small red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- In a medium pot, bring potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and let cool to room temperature.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, mash potatoes, leaving them chunky.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt, stirring until smooth. Add cream cheese mixture, half of Cheddar, and green onions. Add cheese mixture to potatoes, gently stirring to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Top with remaining Cheddar.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, 10 to 12 minutes. Garnish with green onions, if desired.