Golden roasted Sorghum-Basted Ham makes a wow-worthy dinner!
Yield: approximately 12 servings
Write a review
- 1 (10- to 11-pound) bone-in smoked ham (shank portion)
- 1 cup sorghum syrup
- 1∕4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1∕2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1∕2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley, sautéed apple wedges (see note)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line a shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil. Using a sharp knife, lightly score outside of ham. Place ham, cut side down, in prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sorghum, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour
- 1∕2 cup sorghum mixture over ham.
- Bake until a meat thermometer registers 145°, approximately 21∕2 hours, basting occasionally with remaining sorghum mixture. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Place ham on a serving platter; drizzle some of remaining pan juices over ham. Garnish with parsley and apples, if desired.
- To sauté apple wedges, cut 2 small cooking apples into 4 wedges each. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add apple wedges, and cook 5 minutes until lightly browned, turning occasionally.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/