How to Make Spiral Cookies:
Our Test Kitchen staff came up with a handy trick for using plastic wrap to help you roll up the dough for these Snickerdoodle Spirals. After brushing the edge of the dough with water and topping with cinnamon-sugar, follow these steps for easy rolling.
1. Working with the end closest to you, gently separate plastic wrap from dough. Lift the corners of the plastic wrap up and away from you to begin rolling the dough.
2. Continue lifting and pulling the plastic wrap away from you, rolling the dough into a log. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes before slicing.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon water, divided
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla. Divide dough into 2 equal portions.
- On a damp surface, place 1 (14-inch) sheet of plastic wrap. Lightly flour plastic wrap. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time (keep remaining portion of dough covered until ready to use), place dough on plastic wrap. Top with another sheet of plastic wrap. Roll dough into a 12x7-inch rectangle. Gently remove top sheet of plastic (if dough has become soft, refrigerate until plastic wrap can be removed).
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 4 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon. Working at the far short side, lightly brush edge of dough with 1⁄2 teaspoon water. Sprinkle half of cinnamon mixture over dough, stopping at moistened end; gently press cinnamon mixture into dough. Lift plastic wrap on the near short side to peel dough free, and begin loosely rolling dough into a log. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until slightly firm, approximately 20 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, 1⁄2 teaspoon water, and cinnamon mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut dough into approximately 1⁄2-inch slices. Place slices, 1 inch apart, on prepared pans.
- Bake, in batches, until lightly browned, approximately 12 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand on pan for 2 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire racks.