Fresh vegetables and herbs add summery flavor to this creamy and comforting casserole.
Smoked Chicken and Pasta Casserole
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups quartered white mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh green beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 4 cups chopped smoked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For filling: In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, green beans, onion, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, approximately 5 minutes. Add 4 cups broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until tender, approximately 6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, place flour; whisk in remaining 1 cup broth. Stir flour mixture into carrot mixture. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta, chicken, cream, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour into prepared dish.
- For topping: In a small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, salt, and butter. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake until bubbly and bread crumbs are lightly browned, approximately 18 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/