Smoked Beef Brisket
Write a review
- Mesquite wood chips
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1(6-pound) flat-cut beef brisket, fat trimmed to 1⁄8 inch
- Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat smoker to 225° to 250°. Sprinkle soaked mesquite chips over coals.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and chipotle pepper. Spread mixture over all sides of brisket. Place fat side up in a disposable roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cook, covered with smoker lid, for 5 hours. Remove brisket from pan, discarding pan, and wrap brisket in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return brisket to smoker, and cook, covered with smoker lid, until meat is very tender, 4 to 6 hours longer. Let stand for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Note: Meat can be made a day ahead. To serve, wrap in foil, and reheat in a 350° oven.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/