Using a slow cooker to make these savory grillades leaves you plenty of time to spend with guests.
Slow Cooker Grillades
- 1 (2-pound) top round beef roast
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can beef consommé
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Cheese Grits (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh chopped parsley
- Cut roast into ¼-inch-thick slices. In a large shallow bowl, stir together flour and 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning. Place beef slices in flour mixture, turning to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown beef on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Place browned beef in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, consommé, vinegar, Worcestershire, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, and remaining 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high until beef is tender, about 4 hours. Serve over Cheese Grits. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups stone-ground grits
- ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a Dutch oven, bring broth and milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in grits and Creole seasoning. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring often, until grits are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Stir in cheese.
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s March/April 2017 issue!