Sweet and tangy Slow Cooker Cranberry BBQ Chicken Sliders are the perfect party starters for any occasion.
Slow Cooker Cranberry BBQ Chicken Sliders
Makes 12 sliders
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 (12-pack) potato slider buns, warmed
- In a small bowl, stir together ½ teaspoon salt, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle evenly over chicken breasts and place chicken in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on high until chicken is tender and shreds easily with a fork, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add ½ cup onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cranberry sauce, ketchup, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, bourbon, Worcestershire, Dijon, paprika, remaining ½ teaspoon cumin, remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid from chicken. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in cranberry sauce mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine cabbage, jalapeño, remaining ½ cup onion, remaining 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Serve chicken on slider buns with cabbage mixture.
*We use Slap Ya Mama! Cajun Seasoning