You won’t find a yummier—or easier—meal than this slow-cooked supper. See the Recipe for Success tip for perfectly cooked dumplings.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 to 2½ pounds)
- 1 cup celery, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16.3-ounce) can homestyle biscuits, quartered
- Garnish: fresh thyme, ground black pepper
- In a 7-quart slow cooker, add chicken, celery, onion, carrots, broth, flour, thyme, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is cooked through, about 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks. Add chicken back to slow cooker and place biscuit dough on top of chicken mixture. Cover and cook about 1 hour and 30 minutes more. Garnish with fresh thyme and pepper, if desired.
After adding the biscuits, place a layer of paper towels over the top of the slow cooker (not touching food) before covering with the lid to prevent excess moisture from collecting on the lid and falling back into the pot. This allows the mixture to thicken and helps keep the biscuits from becoming gummy.