This simple and quick dish lets the flavor of summer squash shine.
Skillet-Roasted Yellow Squash
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 pounds medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise
- 1 large Fresno chile pepper, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh mint
- 1 ½ tablespoons panko (Japanese bread crumbs), toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, pour 1 tablespoon oil. Place skillet in oven until very hot, about 8 minutes. In a large bowl, toss together squash, chile pepper, salt, pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Carefully place squash in hot skillet, cut side down.
- Bake until browned, about 8 minutes. Turn squash; bake until tender, about 6 minutes more. Remove from oven; sprinkle with goat cheese, mint, and bread crumbs.