The crunchy topping makes this macaroni and cheese irresistible.
Skillet Mac and Cheese
- ½ (16-ounce) box large elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 cups crushed salted kettle potato chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and broth until smooth. Cook until mixture begins to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, and 2 cups cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in pasta and red peppers. Spoon into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl, combine chips, remaining 1 cup cheese, and parsley. Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Bake until cheese is melted and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.