Hearty and full of Southern flavor, this Skillet Chicken with Pickled Tomatoes makes a speedy supper.
Skillet Chicken with Pickled Tomatoes
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped smoked sausage
- 1 cup Quick-Pickled Cherry Tomatoes, drained (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; cook until lightly browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Add sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, approximately 2 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Add tomatoes.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and tomatoes begin to burst, approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
Yields: Approximately 2 pints
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, 2 cups water, salt, sugar, and zest to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. Pierce each tomato twice with a wooden pick. In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, dill, garlic, and red pepper. Divide evenly among sterilized jars.
- Pour cooled vinegar mixture into jars, leaving one inch of space at top. Let cool 2 hours. Cover, and refrigerate up to 1 month.