Full of cheesy goodness, fresh veggies, and plump shrimp, this comforting casserole makes suppertime a snap.
Shrimp and Grits Squash Casserole
- 3 cups sliced yellow squash
- ½ cup sliced white onion
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 cup yellow grits
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined precooked shrimp
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, lighten beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley leaves
- In a large saucepan, bring squash, onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry.
- In another large saucepan, bring broth, tomatoes with chiles, and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together grits, Monterey Jack, and ¾ cup Cheddar. Add shrimp, green onion, bell pepper, butter, egg, black pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Pour half of grits mixture into prepared dish. Top with squash mixture; cover with remaining grits mixture. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Cheddar.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, 30 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.