These crispy cakes and saucy ribs are the perfect pair for our Short Ribs and Grits Cakes.
Short Ribs and Grits Cakes
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds short ribs
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces cola
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Grits Cakes (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cook ribs until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine cola and chipotles. Pour over ribs. Cover and cook on high heat until tender, 5 hours, or on low heat for 8 hours. Turn off heat, and let cool enough to handle; remove meat and discard bones. Separate fat from liquid, reserving broth.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and leeks, and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, whisking until cooked, about 1 minute. Add thyme, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, and reserved broth, and cook, whisking contstantly until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in shredded ribs. Serve over Grits Cakes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups light brown rice grits
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Line an 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess hang over sides. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add leeks, garlic, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring often, until tender. Add grits and broth. Cook, stirring often, until grits are tender and thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Pour into prepared pan. Refrigerate until thickened, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from pan using parchment paper as handles. Cut into 4 equal squares and cut each square into 2 triangles.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dredge 4 grits triangles in flour and add to skillet. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining grits triangles. Keep warm until serving.