Freshly picked tomatoes and this rich, creamy filling make these bite-size goodies irresistible.
Savory Cornmeal and Tomato Whoopie Pies
Makes 10 Sandwich Cookies
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 (8-ounce) package full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 thin slices Roma tomato
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until smooth and pale, about 1 minute. Add egg, beating well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Using a 1½ tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop batter onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, and onion powder. Place in a resealable plastic bag, and cut one corner tip from bag.
- Pipe a heaping 1 tablespoon onto flat side of half of cookies. Top with 1 tomato slice each. Top with remaining cookies, flat side down. Serve at room temperature.