Whether as a side dish or main, this stuffed squash is pure comfort.
Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Makes 8 squash halves
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped fennel bulb
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 4 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Garnish: grated Parmesan, fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 2 (3-quart) baking dishes with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook all sausage over medium-high heat until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add fennel, onion, and garlic; cook until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add Parmesan, bread crumbs, and sage, stirring gently to combine.
- Arrange acorn squash halves in prepared dish. Rub squash with olive oil and salt. Evenly distribute sausage mixture into each squash, and cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until squash is tender, about 1 hour. Uncover and bake until browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Garnish with Parmesan and sage, if desired.