Swap the spinach for mustard greens for a tasty Southern twist on these Sausage-Spinach Pinwheels.
Makes about 1 dozen
Write a review
- ½ cup chopped smoked sausage
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (1 sheet)
- ¼ cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet; drain on paper towels. Let cool 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sausage, spinach, cream cheese, vinegar, salt, and pepper until combined. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheet; brush with egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; top with spinach mixture. Starting at one short side, roll into a log. Transfer to prepared pan. Cover and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove pastry from freezer; cut into ½-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on prepared pan; brush tops with remaining egg mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s December 2015 issue!