Invite the neighbors over for these savory pumpkin pinwheels!
Yield: 2 dozen pinwheels
Write a review
- 2 (2-ounce) links mild Italian sausage
- 1 (17.3-ounce) box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (2 sheets)
- 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin purée, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage, and discard. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring until browned and crumbly, approximately 5 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets. Spread each sheet with 3 tablespoons pumpkin. Sprinkle each sheet with half of sausage, half of cheese, half of green onion, and half of sage; gently press. Roll each sheet into a log, pinching seams to seal. Cut each log into 12 slices. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until lightly browned on bottom, approximately 10 minutes. Turn pinwheels over; bake until lightly browned on bottom, approximately 7 minutes more. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare the pinwheels through step 3, and freeze on pans until solid. Transfer to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags, and freeze up to 1 month. Bake as directed.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/