With a deep caramel flavor and salty finish, this Salted Pecan Toffee will melt in your mouth without sticking to your teeth.
Salted Pecan Toffee
Yields: About 48 Pieces
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups unsalted butter
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups toasted pecan halves
- 2 (10-ounce) bags dark chocolate melting wafers
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Line 2 (13x9-inch) baking pans or 1 (13x18-inch) baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- In a 6-quart heavy-bottomed stainless steel pot over medium heat, combine sugar, butter, ½ cup water, and vanilla; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 280°, about 35 to 40 minutes. (Mixture will bubble up significantly at first and settle as it continues to cook.) Cook, whisking constantly, until candy thermometer registers 305°, about 6 minutes. (Watch closely after it reaches 290° as temperature will increase rapidly.) Stir in pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan(s). Cool at room temperature until hardened. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted. Spread melted chocolate over cooled toffee; let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flaked salt, if desired. Let stand at room temperature until chocolate is set. Break or cut into pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.