Rustic Apple-Pecan Tart
Yields: 1 (11X10-Inch) Tart
- 4½ cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith Apples (4-5 medium apples)
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Cornmeal Tart Dough (recipe follows)
- Pecan Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, stir together apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice.
- On a large sheet of parchment paper, roll Cornmeal Tart Dough into a 13x12-inch rectangle. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread Pecan Filling onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange apple slices over Pecan Filling. Fold edges of dough over filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk. Brush egg wash onto dough; sprinkle crust and apples with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until crust is golden brown and filling has risen slightly between apples, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Top with chopped pecans before serving.
Cornmeal Tart Dough
Yields: 1 (11X10-Inch) Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 to 5 tablespoons whole milk, chilled
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add 4 tablespoons milk in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Add remaining 1 tablespoon milk, if needed. Turn out dough, and shape into a square. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
Yields: 1½ Cups
- ¾ cup pecan halves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse pecans until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, apple pie spice, ginger, and salt with a mixer at medium-low speed until blended. Beat in egg, egg white, and vanilla. Add ground pecans and flour; beat until mixture is smooth