Test kitchen professional Melissa upgraded the stir-together cornbread mix of her childhood with these slightly sweet, from-scratch muffins.
Rosemary-Cane Syrup Cornbread Muffins
- 1½ cups plain yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup cane syrup
- Softened butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, rosemary, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cane syrup. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add egg mixture, stirring just until combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with butter.