The smoky, sweet flavor of roasted peppers, the saltiness and crunch of bacon, and the tanginess of the cheese combine perfectly in this flavor-packed flatbread.
Roasted Red Pepper, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Flatbread
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) bag deli pizza dough
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 cup (½-inch) sliced sweet onion
- ¾ cup Late-Summer Pesto (recipe follows)
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 slices thick-cut hickory-smoked bacon, fully cooked and chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 475°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Let dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve peppers lengthwise, removing seeds and ribs. Place peppers, cut side down, on prepared pan. Add onion to pan. Bake until vegetables are soft and pepper skins are charred, about 28 minutes. Place peppers in a small bowl; cover with plastic wrap. When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove skins and chop.
- Reduce oven temperature to 450°. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stretch pizza dough into a 17×8-inch rectangle and transfer to prepared pan. Top dough with Late-Summer Pesto, leaving a ½-inch border around edge. Add cheese, peppers, and onion.
- Bake until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Pesto can be made ahead, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.