This Roast Beef is roasted with carrots, onion, celery, and tomatoes for a total of 3 hours, achieving the perfect amount of tenderness. Thick and creamy gravy made with the drippings is the final touch.
Roast Beef with Gravy
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 (2 1⁄2- to 3-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 3⁄4-ounce) can beef consommé
- 3 cups beef broth, divided
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Rub roast with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place roast, onion, celery, carrot, and tomatoes in a roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire, consommé, and 1 cup broth, whisking well. Pour over roast. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Cover roasting pan, and bake 2 1⁄2 hours.
- Carefully remove roast and vegetables from pan. Skim excess fat from pan, and reserve drippings.
- Place roasting pan on stove. Bring 1 1⁄2 cups drippings to a simmer over medium heat. Add flour, whisking well. Cook until mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1 cup broth, whisking well. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more, whisking constantly. Add 1⁄2 cup broth, whisking well. Cook 3 minutes. Add remaining 1⁄2 cup broth, whisking well. Cook until gravy has thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/