This all-in-one slow cooker meal can also be cooked on low heat for 6 to 7 hours. Then add your vegetables, and cook on high for another 1 to 2 hours.
Roast Beef with Rutabagas and Hearty Veggies
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (3 to 3½ pound) boneless beef shoulder roast, trimmed
- 3¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 medium stalks celery, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ pound rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary
- Sprinkle roast all over with 2¾ teaspoons salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Pat roast dry.
- In the bottom of a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker, spread celery, carrots, and garlic.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Place roast on top of vegetables in slow cooker.
- To skillet, add broth, wine, Worcestershire, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaf, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour broth mixture over roast.
- Cover, and cook on high until fork-tender, 4 to 5 hours. Uncover, and add rutabaga, onion, and mushrooms. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour more.
- Remove roast and shred meat. Discard bay leaf. Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter, reserving drippings in slow cooker. Cover platter to keep warm.
- In a clean skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Gradually stir in reserved drippings. Add sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium; cook until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour gravy over roast. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.