You’ll want to eat up every last bit of these delicious messy Roast Beef Po’ Boys.
Roast Beef Po’ Boys
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) beef chuck roast
- 1 (2-ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can beef consommé
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 (12-inch) loaves French bread
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Dill pickles, to serve
- Place roast in a slow cooker. Sprinkle soup mix and pepper over roast. Add consommé, broth, and wine.
- Cover, and cook on lowest setting for 10 hours. Remove roast from slow cooker, reserving broth. Let cool. Shred roast into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from reserved broth.*
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place French bread on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Split each loaf lengthwise. Dip the cut sides of bread lightly into warm beef broth.
- Place 1½ cups meat on each sandwich. Top with shredded lettuce and tomato slices. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal. Serve with dill pickles, if desired.
*Roast may be made ahead to this point and frozen with juices. Reheat before continuing.