Banana pudding is the perfect summertime dessert, and this version made with rich vanilla bean is no exception.
Rich Vanilla-Bean Banana Pudding
Yield: approximately 12 servings
Write a review
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (11-ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 6 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1 cup sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine flour and salt; whisk in milk and vanilla bean seeds. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir half of hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Stir egg yolk mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted.
- In a shallow 3-quart baking dish, layer half of vanilla wafers, half of banana slices, and half of vanilla pudding. Repeat layers once.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating just until stiff peaks form. Spoon over pudding, spreading to seal edges.
- Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm, or refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/