Spicy Hatch green chiles and smoked Cheddar cheese transport this comforting breakfast dish south of the border.
Rice Grits Breakfast Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound ground sage breakfast sausage
- 2½ cups warm rice grits, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can hot Hatch green chiles
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- Sliced avocado and halved cherry tomatoes, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, rice grits, 1 cup cheese, corn, sour cream, green chiles, eggs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place in a 2-quart baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese
- Bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with green onion. Serve immediately with avocado and cherry tomatoes, if desired.