Christmastime calls for cookies, and these festive crinkle cookies are just the ticket.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Approximately 2 dozen
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in confectioners’ sugar. Place at least 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until centers are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on pans. Store in airtight containers up to 4 days.
Want more holiday cookie inspiration? Find that and more in our Best of Holiday Baking issue.