This Ratatouille with Shrimp channels the classic French dish with fresh herbs, tomato paste, and a host of garden veggies.
Ratatouille with Shrimp
Yields: 4-6 Servings
- 2 cups (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 2 cups (1-inch) pieces yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed eggplant
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1½ pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Garnish: chopped fresh oregano, chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine bell peppers, carrot, onion, and garlic. Add 3 tablespoons tomato paste, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper, tossing to coat. Spread mixture on prepared pan. Loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggplant, basil, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, remaining 1 tablespoon tomato paste, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add eggplant mixture to bell pepper mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggplant is softened, about 15 minutes, stirring once. Add shrimp; sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bake until shrimp are pink and firm, 8 to 10 minutes more. Garnish with oregano and basil, if desired.