These stained glass-like cookies are almost too beautiful to eat. Almost.
Makes about 24 sandwich cookies
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, and salt. With a mixer at low speed, add cold butter, beating until mixture is crumbly. Beat in egg, egg yolk, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Increase mixer speed to medium-low, and beat until a dough starts to form. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll dough ¼ inch thick. Using a 2-inch star-shaped cutter, cut dough, and place on prepared pans. Using a smaller star-shaped cutter, cut centers from half of cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine raspberry jam and apricot preserves. Spread about ½ teaspoon filling onto flat side of all solid cookies. Place cookies with cutouts, flat side down, on top of filling. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Want more holiday cookie inspiration? Find that and more in our Best of Holiday Baking issue.