A rich and tasty sauce, like the one in this Quick Rigatoni Bolognese, makes all the difference on pasta night.
Quick Rigatoni Bolognese
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ pound rigatoni pasta, cooked
- Whole milk ricotta, to serve
- Garnish: ground black pepper, fresh basil
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until browned and crumbled, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat, if desired. Return beef to pan.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add wine, scraping browned bits in bottom of pan; cook until reduced by half. Stir in crushed tomatoes, salt, marjoram, pepper, and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in cream; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to sauce, tossing to coat. Cook until just heated through, about 5 minutes. Top servings with ricotta. Garnish with pepper and basil, if desired.