As this risotto cooks, the butternut squash breaks down just enough to infuse the creamy sauce with natural, nutty sweetness.
Quick Butternut Squash Risotto
Makes 4-6 servings
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (2 pounds)
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Garnish: fresh sage
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together broth, rice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Microwave on high until all broth has been absorbed, 12 to 18 minutes. (Cooking time may vary based on microwave wattage.)
- In a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add squash, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Add cream and sage, and bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in wine.
- Sprinkle cheese over rice. Pour squash mixture over rice, and stir to combine. Serve hot. Garnish with sage, if desired.
Kitchen tip: Rice can also be cooked on the stovetop. In a medium saucepan, whisk together ingredients in step 1, and bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; stir. Cover and cook until all broth has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.