Light and lovely yet perfect for winter through spring, this Purple, Green, and Gold Salad is a great accompaniment to your seasonal supper.
Purple, Green, and Gold Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 large red beet (about 10 ounces)
- 1 large golden beet (about 10 ounces)
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby arugula
- 2 small oranges, peeled, rind removed, and sliced
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Rub beets all over with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap each beet tightly in foil. Place beets in a small baking dish.
- Bake until tender, 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool slightly until cool enough to handle. Using the foil or a paper towel, gently rub skin off beets. Let cool completely. Cut into ½-inch-thick wedges.
- In a large bowl, toss together arugula, beets, sliced oranges, and red onion.
- In the container of a blender, combine orange juice, vinegar, Dijon, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Process until smooth. With blender running, add remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a slow, steady stream until fully combined.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to evenly coat. Top with pistachios, parsley, and red pepper.