The beloved flavor of this iconic seasonal drink tastes right at home in these luscious sweet rolls.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Sweet Rolls
- 1 cup warm strong-brewed coffee or cold-brew concentrate (105° to 110°)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened, divided
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: pumpkin pie spice
- In a medium bowl, stir together warm coffee, granulated sugar, and yeast; let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together flour, 2½ teaspoons pie spice, and salt. Add yeast mixture, pumpkin, melted butter, and egg; beat at low speed until just combined. Switch to the dough hook attachment; beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. (Dough will be slightly sticky, but manageable with lightly floured hands).
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°), until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1 package cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons pie spice, and instant expresso with a mixer on medium speed.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Lightly punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 20×15-inch rectangle. Spread cream cheese mixture in an even layer over dough, leaving a ½-inch border along one long side. Starting with the long side with no border, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, trim ends and cut into 10 (2-inch) slices. Place slices in prepared skillet. Cover and let rise until puffed, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining package cream cheese, remaining 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla. Spread on warm rolls. Garnish with pie spice, if desired. Serve warm.