A perfect dessert for an autumn celebration, this pumpkin pie showcases the splendor of the season. Do-ahead tip: store this un-topped pie in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Top it with whipped cream and toasted coconut just before serving!
Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Whipped Cream
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Write a review
- 1⁄2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (1 sheet)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 11⁄3 cups coconut milk, divided
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 11⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll piecrust into a 12-inch circle. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Place a piece of parchment paper in bottom of piecrust, letting ends extend over edges. Fill with pie weights.
- Bake until lightly browned, approximately 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, 1 cup coconut milk, 3 ⁄4 cup sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Pour mixture into piecrust.
- Bake until center is set, 45 to 50 minutes. (Loosely cover crust with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary.) Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1⁄3 cup coconut milk; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream, and garnish with coconut, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/