Combine three holiday treats into one special sweet with this beautiful pie.
Praline Pumpkin Pie
Makes 1 (9-Inch) Deep-Dish Pie
- Sugar Cookie Crust (recipe follows)
- ½ cup (about 2 pralines) chopped Spicy Pecan Pralines
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Whipped cream, to serve
Sugar Cookie Crust
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with baking spray with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Sugar Cookie Crust dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to prepared pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim edges to a 1-inch overhang. (If dough cracks, press cracks together to seal.) Sprinkle crust with Spicy Pecan Pralines.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, butter, eggs, egg yolks, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and salt until smooth. Pour into prepared crust, and place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet. Fold edges of dough over filling towards center. (Dough will not completely cover filling.) Brush crust with egg white. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges are set but center jiggles slightly, about 1 hour, covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool for at least 2 hours on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream.
Sugar Cookie Crust
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and baking powder until combined. Add butter, pulsing until mixture resembles coarse grits. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, yolk, and milk. Using a fork, stir egg mixture into flour mixture’ until liquid is almost combined.
- On a clean surface, turn out dough and knead until dough comes together into a ball and resembles sugar cookie dough. Shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.