Fresh veggies add color and crunch to this vinegar-based potato salad.
Potato Salad with Bell Peppers and Green Beans
Makes about 8 servings
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large yellow bell peppers
- 2½ pounds red and Yukon gold new potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ pound French green beans, halved crosswise
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Position oven rack to highest level, and preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, discarding stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves skin side up on prepared pan; flatten slightly.
- Broil until skin is blackened, about 4 minutes. (Watch peppers carefully during cooking.) Place peppers in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel peppers, discarding skins. Chop peppers.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 7 minutes. Add beans; cook for 1 minute. Drain well, and let cool for 20 minutes. Place potatoes and beans in a large bowl. Add peppers, green onion, and bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, thyme, mustard, oil, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Pour over potato mixture; gently stir. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.