This rich and decadent summertime sweet is an icebox delight.
Makes 1 (9-inch) Deep-Dish Pie
- 1 (11.3-ounce) package pecan shortbread cookies*
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: chopped pecans, chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cookies, pecans, and flour. Process until cookies are finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookie mixture and melted butter until well combined. Firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Bake until edges are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup cream; slowly increase speed to high and beat until thickened and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into prepared crust and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, and salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming (do not boil).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch. Whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to boil (mixture will be thick). Boil, whisking constantly, until cornstarch flavor has cooked out, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and slowly whisk in chocolate. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in butter cubes and vanilla until completely combined. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cool and set, about 40 minutes.
- Carefully spoon chocolate custard over cream cheese layer in crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 2 cups cream with a mixer at medium speed, slowly increasing speed to high, until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over chocolate layer. Garnish with pecans and chocolate sprinkles, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
*We used Keebler Sandies® Pecan Shortbread.