Sink your spoon into this hearty Southern favorite. Part chicken poppy seed casserole, part soup in a bread bowl, this cozy Poppy Seed Chicken Bread Bowl is a treat.
Poppy Seed Chicken Bread Bowl
Makes 4 servings
- 4 small round bread loaves
- ¾ cup crushed buttery round crackers
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut a ½-inch-thick slice off top of each bread round. Hollow out each round, leaving a ½-inch-thick shell. Reserve soft bread from centers for another use. Place bowls on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers, cheese, and melted butter until moistened.
- In a large saucepan, stir together soup, sour cream, lemon juice, poppy seeds, Worcestershire, and pepper; cook over medium heat just until simmering. Remove from heat, and fold in chicken.
- Fill each bread bowl evenly with chicken mixture; sprinkle with cracker mixture.
- Bake until chicken mixture is bubbly and top is browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.