We channeled our editor’s grandmother’s classic plum kuchen for this easy yet impressive treat.
Plum Biscuit Tart
Yields: 1 (13×9-inch) tart
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh plums, sliced
- ⅓ cup strawberry preserves
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch rimmed baking sheet with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined. Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto prepared pan, and spread evenly using well-oiled hands. Place plums in three rows on top of crust.
- In another small bowl, stir together strawberry preserves, melted butter, and remaining ¼ cup sugar. Spread preserves mixture onto plums.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.