Each cookie layer can be baked in batches if you only have one 13×9-inch pan.
Pistachio-Mint Layer Cookies
Makes about 48 (2x1-inch) bars
- 1 cup raw shelled pistachios
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Green gel food coloring
- ⅔ cup apricot jam, melted, strained, and divided
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Garnish: gold sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (13×9-inch) baking pans with baking spray with flour and line each with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add pistachios and mint. Process until very fine, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Process until mixture is very pasty and is clumping together, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1½ cups butter and granulated sugar. Process until mixture is fluffy, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape sides of bowl.
- With processor running, add eggs one at a time. Process until mixture is very light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add flour, folding in just until combined. Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls.
- Add several drops of food coloring to each bowl, creating 3 different shades of green. Spread each batter into a prepared pan, spreading to edges and corners and tapping pans on countertop to even out batter.
- Bake until edges start to brown and pull away from sides of pans and the centers spring back when gently pressed, about 10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking, if needed. Let cool completely in pans.
- Line a cutting board with wax paper. Transfer darkest green layer top side down onto wax paper. Spread with half of apricot jam. Place lighter green layer top side down onto jam. Spread remaining half of jam over lighter green layer. Place lightest green layer top side down onto jam. Top with another piece of wax paper. Place an empty 13×9-inch baking pan on top of layers and weigh down with a few cans or bags of dried beans. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove weights and trim edges of cookie slab. Place chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 15-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted. Spread on top. Garnish with sparkling sugar, if desired. Chill for 20 minutes. Using a warm serrated knife, cut into thin (2×1-inch) bars, wiping knife between cuts. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Use parchment from baking to transfer cookie layers more easily. Using parchment as handles, remove cookie layers from pans. Flip onto cutting board or jam-covered layers, top side down, then peel off parchment.