While we’d never turn our noses up at a plain pimiento cheese sandwich on white bread, combining the two into one freshly baked treat is sure to impress.
Pimiento Cheese Swirl Bread
Makes 1 (8×4-Inch) loaf
- 3 to 3½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package quick-rise instant yeast
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup warm whole buttermilk (120° to 130°)
- ½ cup pimiento cheese, room temperature
- Red pepper jelly, to serve
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together 2½ cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt; add eggs and buttermilk. Beat at medium-low speed for 3 minutes. Switch to the dough hook attachment. On low speed, add remaining 1 cup flour, a few tablespoons at a time as needed, until a soft dough forms and starts to pull away from bowl, 6 to 8 minutes. (Dough will still be slightly sticky.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a ball. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8×4-inch metal loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch square. Spread pimiento cheese on dough, leaving a 1-inch border on one side. Starting from side opposite border, roll up dough into a log, pinching seam to seal; place seam side down. Cut log in half lengthwise, leaving 1 inch intact at one end of log. Twist halves together with cut sides facing up. Transfer twisted loaf to prepared pan, tucking ends under to fit. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) for 20 minutes.
- Bake until top is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°, 50 to 55 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with red pepper jelly, if desired.