Make this delicious, cheesy dough ahead of time, and you’ll be prepped and ready to whip up this pot pie for supper.
Pimiento Cheese Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pimiento Cheese Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: ground black pepper, sea salt flakes, fresh sage leaves
Pimiento Cheese Pie Dough
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces cold pimiento cheese
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, peas and carrots, parsley, thyme, salt, sage, and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Pimiento Cheese Pie Dough into a 12-inch square. Place over hot chicken mixture, letting ends extend over sides of skillet.
- Brush top of pastry with egg, and brush underside of pastry corners with egg; press to skillet. Cut small slits in center of dough to release steam.
- Bake until crust is puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with pepper, salt, and sage, if desired.
Pimiento Cheese Pie Dough
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and baking powder; pulse to combine. Add pimiento cheese, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add butter and pulse 4 times.
- Combine 3 tablespoons cold water and vinegar. Pour water mixture into flour mixture in a slow, steady stream, pulsing until butter is pea-size and dough holds together when pinched, about 6 times. Transfer dough to a clean work surface and knead into a ball. Shape into a square and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days. If chilling for more than 1 hour, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling.